Friday, July 15, 2011

I Am Oz

You ever wonder what makes people "toot their own horns"? You know what I mean...those that talk about how great they are at "fill in the blank". Or those that talk about how much they love something or somebody that it makes you wonder who they're trying to convince?

It reminds me of the great and powerful Oz in The Wizard of Oz. Here this guy is hiding behind smoke, lights and mirrors, talking about his greatness. Turns out, he's insecure and unsure just like the rest of them (and us)!



I am a Christian. I love God. You will hear me reference God, prayer, the Bible or church in converstations. You will not hear me saying "God" or "Jesus" every 2 seconds. You will not see "God" or "Jesus" in every post on Facebook. You will not see me wearing a t-shirt that says "I am a Christian". Why? It is my desire that you see Christ in my actions. That you hear Christ in my words. I want it to be obvious by my life that I love God and strive every day for a home with Him in heaven.

I am a Mother. I love my son, and I love being a mother. You will hear me talk about Levi or refer to him in conversations. You will not hear me gushing about how perfect he is or how wonderful of a mother I am. You will not hear me say "I love him" every 2 seconds. I want you to see that though! I want you to see it on my face when I do talk about him. I want you to feel it when you see us together. I want him to know that I love him and think he is wonderful, not just by my words, but also by my actions.

Why am I saying all of this? Sometimes, I hear people gushing about God or their children, and it makes me reflect on my own life. Do I talk about them enough? Do I say "God", "Christ", or "Levi" enough? And then, I realize that I don't have to. I am confident in my relationship with God for the first time in months. I am sure that my son loves me when he hugs my neck every night. I feel like people hide behind their words sometimes. Perhaps they feel like if they say it enough, others (and maybe even themselves) will perceive it as the truth. It is not always necessary, or good, to stand on the mountaintops and shout your greatness. Humility is a precious personality trait, and God rewards us for it as stated in Matthew 5:3, "Blessed are the humble, for they shall inherit the Kingdom of Heaven".

So my goal: Be proud of who I am. Be proud of my God and my son. Be proud of my spritual life and my motherhood. Be proud, but be humble. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes!!! Very annoying!!! Especially the "i'm the greatest mother and my child is perfect" one. Yes, I am not a mother yet, but that is a choice so don't shove it in my face. Great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete