Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Parental Units

Ahh...I would like to officially welcome myself back to the land of the living (and the land of blogging)! This has been me for 4 days:



Thank goodness I had my munchkin man to keep me company. He's always a good baby, but he has just been exceptional this past week. It's like he knew I didn't feel good. He played by himself so well! Every once-in-awhile, he'd stop playing to come hug my neck or climb in my lap. Bless! :) My silver lining of being sick is that I got to spend so much time with my little boy. I haven't spent that much alone time at home with him since my maternity leave. It was so much fun to watch him run around and explore. One thing he's exploring more and more: climbing! See:



He looks like he's wondering how to get down! Haha. Yeah, this is going to be a fun stage... (P.s. How cute are his John Deere slipper socks?!)

Ok, I am WAY behind in the challenge now, but we're just going to pretend it's still day 4. :)

Day 4: My Parents

Once again, I'm just staring at this screen trying to decide where to start. I don't think I'm going to be able to adequately describe the love I have for my mom and dad. I don't know what to say about the wonderful woman who raised me and the father I lost at a too-young age. I guess I'll start with them...

This is my handsome Daddy:

 

And here's my beautiful Mom:





They met in 1978 and married 2 years later.


I was born in 1984, and my sister came into this world in 1988. Here's a picture of Daddy with his girls:


One year later, my Daddy joined my Father in Heaven. I don't remember my Dad. I wish with all my heart that I did. If I had memories, I've lost them. People ask me all the time if I miss him. Unfortunately, I don't have any memories to actually miss. I do miss the memories that we weren't able to make, and I do miss the fact that I didn't get to know this wonderful man. What I know about my Dad is what others have told me. I've been told he was a loving, giving and kind man. He loved my mom and his 3 girls (I have a half-sister) more than anything in this world. He was hard-working, generous and warm. He was a strong Christian man who wanted nothing more than his family to worship the Lord together, no matter where that happened to be. No, I didn't know my Dad, but I know that I would've liked him. My sister Sherrie tells me all the time that Jeffrey and her husband Mike are a lot like Daddy, and I love both of them! :) I often wonder what he would be like, how he would feel about my life, how he would act as a grandfather. I try not to dwell on these things though because then I get sad, and I don't want to be sad about him. I want to look at pictures and be thankful for the 5 years that we did have. I want to think about him in a happier place. I want to look forward to the day when I can run to him, sit on his lap, hug his neck and spend eternity together with our Lord. THOSE are the things I want to think about! :)

As much as I might have missed with my Dad, my Mom sure did an amazing job of making up for it! I respect my mother more than anybody else on this planet. She is such a strong, independent, giving and thoughtful woman. She is hard-working, loving and fun. When she's not working, she's travelling, reading or sitting in the sun! The newest addition to her interests: Levi! She loves that little boy more than anything! It is so much fun to see them together. She spoils him rotten just as a grandmother is supposed to. Haha. I'm serious when I say she buys him at least one outfit every week! :) Mom's life has not been easy. She lost her dad when she was 5 and her husband at a young age. She was the sole care-taker of her mother (my grandmother) when she got sick as well as my great-grandfather. But you know what? She NEVER complained! Not once do I remember hearing her complain about the time and energy it took to get through those things. She knew her responsibilities, and she took care of them. I admire that so much. Other than Jeffrey, my Mom is my best friend. We are so much alike it's scary sometimes! :) I don't know what I would do without her. As they say in sports while acting a fool on tv: "I love you Mom!".

Whew! Tomorrow, siblings! :)

I just had a brilliant idea for an ending line for my sister's blog. I'm still working on mine...Today, we'll go with:

I'm out like a fat kid in dodgeball!

(Yeah, probably not sticking with that one...)

1 comment:

  1. Mine is going to suck compared to yours!! And you stole my pictures lol and yes please pick a new sign out line! I'll come up with something for you!

    ReplyDelete